Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Life here

Hey everyone,

Besides teaching English and learning Spanish, I've been able to get out and do somethings such as going on hikes or certain tourist attractions.

Two weekends ago, I went to the Equator. What I found amazing is one of the demonstrations they did. They had a small tub of water with a plug at the bottom and two small leaves floating on the top. They placed the tub on "the line," unplugged the tub and the water and the leaves drained straight down. Then they moved the tub about 7 feet to the south, did the same thing and the water and the leaves drained clockwise. They repeated it once more, 7 feet to the north and the water and the leaves drained counterclockwise! Talk about a myth buster. That was very fascinating.

Last Sunday I hiked to the top of Mount Pichincha which is 15,000ft.

It started off with a cable car ride. From the top of the cable car you can see for miles!
The hike was very beautiful except for the very top of the mountain cuz there were lots of clouds. But after three strenuous hours and a little bit of rock climbing, we made it. It was worth it!


I have been training for a 15k race on Sunday June 7th. I've been running every day. When I run, in one hand I hold my water bottle and in the other I hold a rock or some object to defend myself from charging dogs. I've come close to using the rock, but thankfully I haven't had to. I've been training here in Tumbaco which is at 7,500ft, however, the race is going to be in Quito which is around 10,000ft. It may be a little different but I think I will be prepared. I think the fact that I've been training for the past few weeks helped me on my hike up the mountain. Once we reached the top I was the only who was still ready for more.
Me after the race.


In two weeks I'm going down to Rio Bamba for a weekend to visit with one of the missionaries whom I will be working with for two weeks in July and August.

I will try to keep the updates coming more frequently. It only depends on my internet access.

Thank you all once again for being my family and friends. I pray that God will bless all of you in the months to come!

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment